Sunday, September 19, 2010

Review: Paranormalcy

Title: Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Date Released: August 31st, 2010
Pages: 352
Rating: 4 out of 5

Description:
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Review:
I really liked this book and fell in love from the very beginning and was glad that I saw reviews on it from other blogs because then I probably wouldn't have ended up buying it!  I really loved Evie's character.  I thought that she was funny and I really liked her personality.  I also liked Lend, and I thought that the name was pretty clever :D  It was cool how he was kind of a shapeshifter, as I've never had a character like that in a book, besides probably Twilight, since the werewolves are technically supposed to be shapeshifters, but that's besides the point.  I LOVED LOVED LOVED the other characters, the mythology and mythical creatures, like Lish and the fairies, and how Evie could see the creepy corpse of the supernatural beings.

The reason why Paranormalcy got 4 out of 5 was because I thought that the writing was just a little weird.  I was kind of like everything was sort of rushed in a way and it didn't really flow.  I felt that it was a little choppy.  Some things just happened too fast.  I thought that some of the things would happen more towards the end of the book, so it'll leave a cliffhanger for the second book, but they happened more towards the middle-ish.

Overall, this is a really good book that goes by kind of fast, but has great characters that I think had great and totally different personalities.  I thought it was pretty original too because it was about a teenage girl working for an agency that looked for paranormal creatures (even though The Mortal Instrutment series was kind of like that...), and that's what caught my attention because I've never really read a book like that.  Although I think that everything was basically wrapped up in the end, I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series, Supernaturally :D 

Cover Review:
The cover is really awesome!! It's cool how it depicts Evie, but the book isn't really that dark or creepy, like the cover probably sugests.  It's cool how some of the font is pink because that's Evie's favorite color :) And the dress that she's wearing is pink too ^^  Although, the pink doesn't really fit the dark background, it's still very cool.

*Description from Goodreads.com
**Review copy purchased.

Cleo :)

Kiersten White's website

1 comment:

  1. Oh yay! This makes me happy, I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed this book because I'm so itching to get my hands on a copy of this. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥