Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review: Hunger

Title: Hunger
Author: Michael Grant
Date Published: May 26th, 2010
Pages: 590
Rating: 5 out of 5

Description:
IT'S BEEN THERE MONTHS SINCE EVERYONE UNDER THE AGE OF FIFTEEN BECAME TRAPPED IN THE BUBBLE KNOWN AS THE FAYZ.
THREE MONTHS SINCE ALL THE ADULTS DISAPPEARED.
GONE.

Food ran out weeks. Everyone is starving, but no one wants to figure out a solution. And each day, more and more kids are evolving, developing supernatural abilities that set them apart from the kids without powers.

Tension rises and chaos is descending upon the town. It's the normal kids against the mutants. Each kid is out for himself, and even the good ones turn murderous.

But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to them, guiding them, manipulating them.

The Darkness has awakened. And it is hungry.

Review:
Hunger is the awesome sequel to Gone.  And it is epic.  Probably more epic than Gone, or maybe just about the same.  But let me tell you: There's still a lot of action and violence and mystery going on in this book.  Even though I'm not a violent person and haven't actually really picked up a book with so much violence in it, I really love this series so far. 

There's probably not much to say about this book because I thought that Gone and Hunger were both equal... I probably should've done a review of them together now that I think about it.  The only difference is that now, everyone's going hungry, hence the title.  All the kids are facing challenges and the food problem is one of them.  Food has run out and they're only kids so hunting is hard, and did I mention that all the animals are becoming mutated?  Yeah, there are like these killer earthworms and creepy talking coyotes.  The earthworms make it especially hard to grow food which is ironic since they're really supposed to help grow the food.  Also, in the description it mentions the Darkness.  The Darkness just adds a whole new level of creepiness to this book.  It still makes me shudder when I think about all the creepy things that the Darkness has done and tried to do. 

The characters are as awesome as ever.  There are some new characters.  I think that they might've appeared at the end of Gone, but they appear much more and play a pretty big part in each of those really intense scenes because they have really awesome powers.  Like there's this one girl named Brianna and she had super speed which was really useful to the good kids of the FAYZ because during the fights, she would travel back and forth between the fighting grounds and wherever Sam was.  I still really don't like the Coates Academy kids since they are evil and I always side with the good guys (who wouldn't?).  I really felt bad for Sam, though, because he's trying so hard to maintain a whole city of kids.  Yes, just kids!  And he's only a kid himself and probably more than half of the kids won't even listen to him, because you know how kids are ;)

The plot is also really good.  The plot of the book is really important to me, and if it really captivates me, then it's already a really great book.  The plot is so fast paced that it makes you read non-stop, and then you wonder where all the time went because the book just sucks you in.

I would really, really recommend this book to anyone who likes tons of action and is okay with some violence.  Just so you know, a reviewer said that if Stephen King wrote The Lord of the Flies, this would be the product.  I've never read a book by Stephen King or read The Lord of the Flies, so I'm guessing that they're both pretty scary.  There is some killing and it can be a little gruesome sometimes, but this is just so good and if you read it, it'll keep you on your toes.  I can't even express my feelings through just words... I think if I did a video, I'd just be a ball of excitement :D

Cover Review:
The cover is really cool!  It also totally conveys everything that's going on in the book  through their expressions and has two of the characters on it.  I think it's Lana and Caine, since his blazer is fancy and probably means that he's from Coates Academy, and I don't think that it could be Drake (who's really crazy...). 

Cleo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥