Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Review: A Kiss in Time

Title: A Kiss in Time
Author: Alex Flinn
Date Released: May 1st, 2009
Pages: 371
Ratings: 4 out of 5

Description:
Talia fell under a spell . . . . Jack broke the curse.
I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic. . . .
I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched my tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was so not what I had in mind.
I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger's soft kiss.
I couldn't help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn't know this would happen.
Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, says I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner!
Now I'm stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels. . . . The good news: My parents will freak!
Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?

*(Pink is Talia and Blue is Jack)


Review:
I really liked Flinn's modern retellings of fairy tales that we all know and love.  I really liked Beastly, which was a retelling of Beauty & the Beast (hence "beast" in title).  This time, it's a modern retelling of Sleeping Beauty. 

I thought it was kind of funny how the main character, Jack, is suddenly stuck with a hopeless, spoiled  princess stuck in the wrong time.  If she were at least from this time, it probably would've been easier to handle her.   Jack was a great sport throughout the book, though, because he was patient with her even though there were times where he wanted to ditch her.  And it must've been crazy for him since Talia claimed that he was her true love, since he kissed her awake.  Talia was a pretty strong character, too.  Imagine being in a totally different time with technology that you would've never thought of back in your time.  And missing your family who you haven't seen in a long time due to sleeping for 300 years.  I'd say that she's pretty brave :)  There's also always the evil villain, a staple of fairytales.  This one was named Malvolia and I liked her not because she was evil, but she had a reason to want to Talia and her kingdom into a deep sleep.

I give this a 4 out of 5 because sometimes I think that Flinn tries a little too hard to write like a teenager.  Sometimes it'd kind of cheesy what she does, like incorporating jello shots, but at the same time, I really like this story, despite it's cheesy-ness.

Back to the plus side:  The ending was super uber cool.  And it was cute :)  I'm not going to give anything away... but it is a fairytale sooo, you can probably guess the ending ;)

Overall, a pretty good book that I liked.  If you decide to pick it up, you might find it to be a little cheesy.  But you'll end up liking it, if you like retellings of old fairytales.  If you haven't read Beastly, I would recommend that one, too!  There's also another book that's coming out next year called Cloaked that's a modern retelling, but weaves in several different fairytales. 


Cover Review:
I think that this cover is really pretty with the single white flower.  It's like the one for Beastly.  I like this one better than the original version, which had Talia on the cover. 

Cleo :)

*Description from Goodreads.com
**Review copy purchased.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha this is a really fun idea. I think it sounds good! Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥