Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review: Mockingjay

Title: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Date Released: August 24th, 2010
Pages: 390
Rating: 4 out of 5


Description:
"My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead."

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.

Review:
I JUST finished Mockingjay and I thought it was great, or at least okay... I'm still deciding... I don't think that it was as great as The Hunger Games and Catching Fire because... I don't know.  Some parts were kind of boring and didn't seem to have the intensity (until the end) that the first two books had.  Most of it was just plotting and planning and thinking.  I wanted more action and adventure and excitement! 

The ending was great!!! ... I think that I wanted to cry but my tear ducts don't exactly work properly...  The ending left me quite satisfied.  Collins always adds some really good and suprising twists, too!  They always keep the suspense going and make you want to read more. 

I think that Katniss deserves all the reasons in the world to act as she does in the beginning.  It's probably really traumatizing to go through soooo much in just over a course of 2 years.   Peeta shocked me the most though in this book... what happened to him proves how powerful the Capitol is and how advanced their technology is.  I'm was still Team Peeta throughout this book as well because, Gale doesn't really ever seem to fit with Katniss exactly...  But I like both characters both, as an individual.  Prim has got to be the sweetest character in this book.  I would love to have her as a little sister because she has such a caring nature and is like the total opposite of everyone else in this book.  I really liked all the other rebels, too!  Except for Coin.... I was kind of suspicious of her. 

Even though this series has ended, I think that there should be like a spinoff series or something... Maybe just another book on the aftermath of everything... Or something!  I don't think that I can part with this series.  It's probably now one of my favorites.  Wait, no, it IS one of my favorites :) 

If you haven't read the first book in this series, The Hunger Games, I strongly recommend that you read it!  I love this series waaaay better than when I loved Twilight (I think... or I actually could've felt the same, but the whole Twilight thing is in my past now...)!!!  I think that if I ever have kids, I'm going to force them to read these books ;)  But of course when they're old enough, because it can be a little violent.

Cover Review:
I think that the cover is really cool, especially since it has the symbolic mockingjay on it.  But I also noticed that on the other covers, around the main image, there are circles around them, but on this cover, the circle is shattered into pieces, scattered around the mockingjay.  It's almost seems like it's symbolizing that Katniss is breaking free or that she can't be held down, captive.  Does it seem like that to you guys?

Cleo :)

*Description from Goodreads.com
**Review copy borrowed from library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥