Saturday, October 9, 2010

Review: Blue Bloods Series Part Uno

 
Titles: Blue Bloods & Masquerade
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Dates Released: May 1st, 2006 & May 1st, 2007
Pages: 302; 320
Rating: 4 out of 5


Description for Blue Bloods:
Schuyler Van Alen is confused about what is happening to her. Her veins are starting to turn blue, and she's starting to crave raw meat. Soon, her world is thrust into an intricate maze of secret societies and bitter intrigue. Schuyler has never been a part of the trendy crowd at her prestigious New York private school. Now, all of a sudden, Jack Force, the most popular guy in school, is showing an interest in her. And when one of the popular girls is found dead, Schuyler and Jack are determined to get to the bottom of it.


Schuyler wants to find out the secrets of the mysterious Blue Bloods. But is she putting herself in danger? Melissa de la Cruz's vampire mythology, set against the glitzy backdrop of New York City, is a juicy and intoxicating read.


Description for Masquerade:
Schuyler Van Alen is starting to get more comfortable with her newfound vampire powers, but she still has many unanswered questions. A trip to Italy in search of her grandfather only serves to make things more confusing. What secrets are the leaders of The Committee hiding? Meanwhile, back in New York, preparations are feverishly underway for the famous Four Hundred Ball. In true Blue Blood fashion, the ball is totally fab, complete with masks, and hidden behind this masquerade is a revelation that will change the course of a young vampire's destiny.


The thrilling sequel in Melissa de la Cruz's vampire mythology has all the glamour, attitude, and vampire lore that made the first book a hit.


Review:
Since the release of the 5th book, Misguided Angel, is coming out soon, I'm going to be telling you guys about my opinion on the series so far :)  And I'm splitting it into half because 1) It splits evenly (4/2=2) and 2) If I did all four, this will be long and humongo just like the one I did for The Luxe.


Blue Bloods sucked me in right away, so I had to buy Masquerade right away.  I think that most things about it were pretty awesome :D For example, de la Cruz's take on the mythology of vampires and how they can really be anyone... like, your hairdresser hahaha.  The characters each had their own personalities which made them all unique.  Their personalities varied as well from outsiders (Schuyler) to totally popular (Mimi).  To me, this series seemed like a Gossip Girl meets vampires (even though I've never read Gossip Girl...), which I thought was really cool because de la Cruz executed it quite well.  I think it fits well with the series because the traditional vampires, like Dracula, aren't like the socialites in this series.  And the Blue Bloods vampires have to be able to dwell in the sun to live in New York City, otherwise like half of the population would be stuck indoors.  With their curtains drawn.  And only coming out at night... :)


Overall, I think that this is a really cool series.  I like how it's different from other vampires related books that I've read because of it's setting and how these vampires are different from traditional vampires or even the vampires in Twilight.  This books are pretty intriguing and sucked me in.  I've read other reviews on these books, and they didn't seem to quite like them, but I guess being a teenager who likes reading books like these changes the perspective, right?  Be on the look out for Part Two of this review :)


Cover Review:
I think that they're really cool!! On the bottom, they have like little, would you call them silhouettes? of New York city and Italy!  And Masquerade is really cool because it has the model wearing a mask, which is what people do at masquerades.  The Blue Bloods one is also cool because it has two little bite marks, which basically tell you what the whole series is about... Vampires :[  On my copy... it some how got ruined and now it looks like there's an extra bite mark... hehe :)  Whoa, I just found $5 in the back of my book... :D


*Descriptions from Goodreads.com
**Review copies purchased.


Cleo :)

1 comment:

  1. Blue blood is very nice show. I regularly watch Blue Blood online. Its really amazing. i like to watch it online with my friends.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥