Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: Pandemonium

Title: Pandemonium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Date Released: February 28th, 2012
Pages: 375
Rating: 5 out of 5

Description:
I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.

Review:
After I finished this, I was like, "Whoa, this was a pretty mind blowing book." Because it just simply was. Lauren Oliver still manages to deliver an excellent sequel to the first in the trilogy, Delirium, defeating the stereotypical "sophomore slump."

In Pandemonium, you see Lena in a completely different way. She's been introduced to the deliria by Alex, and now that she's off into "real" world, she's a much stronger person who has fallen into another forbidden romance, but forbidden in a different way this time.

There are a brand new set of characters this time and all of them are uniquely amazing. Raven was realistic and like the mother of the group. Julian was pretty awesome. The way that he's described makes him seem so sheltered and innocent in a way that I for some reason like. I guess it's because then his character won't over power Lena's character, and he's sort of like how Lena was in Delirium-- learning about the deliria and how it just feels so good to love others.

Pandemonium is full of intensity because of the struggle to survive in such a harsh environment outside of the protective barrier, and the risk of being caught as a revolutionary. Every moment was full of adrenaline and made me want to jump and down like a little child getting a lollipop. Ahhh! It makes me giddy just thinking about it!!

Another reason why I absolutely loved Pandemonium was because of Lauren Oliver's writing. It just all flows beautifully and draws you in so much to the point that you can't get back out.  Also, everything that Lauren Oliver writes about seems sooo beautiful when they honestly aren't.  


Ohmygoodness... This one leaves on an even BIGGER cliffhanger than the one before!  The ending is such a crazy whirlwind of... insanity!!  I think that was the mind blowing part that really got me.  

Overall, Pandemonium was an AMAZING sequel to Delirium.  It's a new start for Lena with a new environment and new people... But she still connects to her former life through her thoughts of Alex. Intensity comes in a new form this time-- through the cruel environment rather than the oppression of society. If you haven't read Delirium yet, then DEFINITELY go out and get it. Go. Get. It. And you might as well buy Pandemonium while you're at it, too  :)

Cover Review:
I really like the cover for Pandemonium, but I just never really understood the tropical flowers and fruits concept because it isn't really like they're in the tropics, they only go as far as New York. Don't get me wrong, I still love the cover and the tropical flowers, I just simply don't really think that they fit in with the book. I also sort of secretly wish that they kept with the original cover design of Delirium. I absolutely loved the design of that cover.

Cleo :)
(the girl who's mind was blown)

*Description and cover from goodreads.com
**Review copy purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥