Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Possession

Title: Possession
Author: Elana Johnson
Date Released: June 7th, 2011
Pages: 416
Rating: 3 out of 5

Description:
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


Review:
I liked Possession and thought that it was an okay book.  Dystopian is becoming one of my favorite genres, so I thought, why not read PossessionPossession is a great book when considering everything except for how the plot progressed.

I'll start with the good things.  I really loved the whole idea of a community (or nation? Vi's homeland sounded pretty big since travelling seemed to take a while...) of people who are controlled, like literally, through people called the Thinkers.  Definitely a really cool idea.  Another thing that I liked were the characters.  I actually liked Vi's stubborness and how she and Jag were like "Baddies" rebelling against the Thinkers.  I also liked Vi's sense of humor and sarcasm that was never ending, giving the book a much more realistic point of view from a teenager, instead of telling it in a more mature voice.

The thing that I didn't like about Possession was the plot.  It was a good plot in terms of where it was headed and what happened, and there are lots of twists and turns, but it kind of went at a fast pace that sort of had no flow, and sometimes it would leave me confused.  Like I would be reading and Vi and Jag would be in one place on one page and a totally different place on another and I'd just be like, "What happened??" or "How did they get there??" I think maybe it was the transitions between time that were confusing?  Or I was forgetting that they had transporters?

Another thing that I wasn't a big fan of was the love triangle between Vi, Zenn, and Jag.  It just didn't feel right for most of the time.  She really liked both of them, but then there was always something to worry about when it comes to Zenn or Jag and it got a little tad bit annoying.  Maybe the love triangle was a little boring and not as intense as others?  I guess I just wasn't really intrigued by the love triangle as much as I would usually be.

Overall, I liked Possession.  I just felt that some things were a little off, like the pacing of the novel and the love triangle.  I think that when Elana Johnson's sequel to Possession comes out, I'll give it a try, since it did leave on the hugest cliffhanger.  If you're absolutely in need of another dystopian novel, then try Possession because I think that the idea that Johnson wrote about is really cool!

Cover Review:
I really like this cover!  It's really simple, since it just has that one image in the middle, but you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!  When you actually get the book and look at the cover, the jacket is a little shimmery which is really cool. I also love the cover scheme they chose!

Cleo :)

*Description and picture from goodreads.com
**Review copy borrowed from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥