Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review: The Power of Six

Title: The Power of Six
Author: Pittacus Lore
Date Released: August 23rd, 2011
Pages: 406
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Description:
I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.
And I'm ready to fight.

Review:
Holy guacamole. I'll probably regret saying that later, but really. The Power of Six was such a huge leap from I Am Number Four. Things got a lot more intense and there was a lot more action, making it a fun and adventurous sequel to read.

The Power of Six alternates between to characters, John (Four), and Marina (Seven). The two each have problems of their own. In the United States, John is being hunted down by the police, while in Spain, Marina struggles to get the attention of her Cepan, Adelina, must defend herself against bullies, and has the feeling that she's being watched by someone. To top it all off, the only thing they really have in common is their struggle to hide from the Mogadorians.

The one thing that I still find sort of awkward in the series so far is the dialogue. It just doesn't fit the people who are saying and it feels weird when I read them, especially when they swear.

Other than that, everything else in the book is just plain awesome! The description of the intense fighting scenes were just so vivid. I also loved the characters even more, despite John's sort of annoying longing for Sarah... Which is understandable, but still annoying. I loved Marina's determination and belief in her Lorien legacy. It was really awesome getting to know more about Six and her past, too.

Overall, The Power of Six was an amazing sequel. It was full of the right amount of intensity and adventure that this type of sci-fi book needs in order to make it awesome. There were definitely a ton of twists and turns, and one that will definitely surprise you if you decide to pick it up. I'm really looking forward to the final book in the trilogy, The Rise of Nine!

Cover Review:
I like how this cover fits with the other two books in the series. It's also fits the science-fiction genre with the cool water ripple design. Cool cover!

Cleo :)

*Description and cover from goodreads.com
**Review copy borrowed from library.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I just borrowed I AM NUMBER FOUR and its sequel from the library, and I'm glad the second book matched up to the first. I really hate second-in-series books that suffer from middle book syndrome (i.e. when the author just seems to fill in random things into the second book to tide over to the third in the trilogy), so I'm looking forward to reading both books!

    Nicole @ Teenage Fiction

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥