Monday, October 31, 2011

Things That Give Me the Creeps

Since today is Halloween, I decided, Why not write a post on books/movies that give me the creeps and the ones that I absolutely cannot read/watch before I go to bed?  I actually haven't been scared that much, as I actually haven't run into a lot of scary books, and I tend to stay away from the scary movies. 

So, here I go with the list of some books and some movies that scare me:

Bad Girls Don't DieBad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

When Alexis's little sister Kasey becomes obsessed with an antique doll, Alexis thinks nothing of it. Kasey is a weird kid. Period. Alexis is considered weird, too, by the kids in her high school, by her parents, even by her own Goth friends. Things get weirder, though, when the old house they live in starts changing. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath in. Kasey is changing, too. Her blue eyes go green and she speaks in old-fashioned language, then forgets chunks of time.
 
Most disturbing of all is the dangerous new chip on Kasey's shoulder. The formerly gentle, doll-loving child is gone, and the new Kasey is angry. Alexis is the only one who can stop her sister -- but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?
OMG!  This totally scared me... The instant dolls were mentioned and the fact that her sister was obsessed with the doll creeped me out!  I totally could not read this before I went to bed...

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin 
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has a little bit of a creepiness factor to it.  Well, it starts off with a Ouiji (if that's how you spell it) Board, so you can judge it for yourself... Did I mention  that there are some gruesome deaths included?

Gone (Gone, #1)Gone by Michael Grant
In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.
Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...
It's not exactly scary creepy, but it's still creepy.  I think that the thing that creeps me out the most are the weird mutant animals, and Drake, the guy with the tentacle arm *shudders*  He gives me the creeps.  The whole idea of kids being the only ones in the world is scary, too, when you think about it. 

Untamed (House of Night, #4)Chosen by P.C. Cast & Kirsten Cast

Life sucks when your friends are pissed at you. Just ask Zoey Redbird – she’s become an expert on suckiness. In one week she has gone from having three boyfriends to having none, and from having a close group of friends who trusted and supported her, to being an outcast. Speaking of friends, the only two Zoey has left are undead and unMarked. And Neferet has declared war on humans, which Zoey knows in her heart is wrong. But will anyone listen to her?  Zoey's adventures at vampyre finishing school take a wild and dangerous turn as loyalties are tested, shocking true intentions come to light, and an ancient evil is awakened in PC and Kristin Cast's spellbinding fourth House of Night novel.
It was one of the House of Night books that really scared me!  Might not have been this one, but I'm pretty sure that it might be.  It was probably like a couple pages, but I read them right before I went to sleep and... yeah.  It kept me up for a while.  I think it was a description of something that was a little too vivid and let my imagination run wild for a while. 

Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz; Illustrations by Stephen Gammell 

Are you brave enough for Scary Stories?
Some boys and girls were at a party one night. There was a graveyard down the street, and they were talking about how scary it was.
"Don't ever stand on a grave after dark," one of the boys said. "The person inside will grab you."
"A grave doesn't scare me," said one of the girls. "I'll do it right now. . . ."
Welcome to the macabre world of Scary Stories. Inside, you'll find alarming tales of horror, dark revenge, and the supernatural, with spine-tingling illustrations by renowned artist Brett Helquist.
I remember reading this as a kid and being scared.  I think it was the illustrations that creeped me out.  I mean, look at that clown.  Look at it.  But hey, at least I got some scary stories out of it to tell to other people (who hopefully haven't read the book, even though I doubt it).


Spirited Away 
In the middle of her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and monsters; where humans are changed into animals; and a bathhouse for these creatures.
First. movie. ever. to. scare. me.  I just couldn't take the fact that the parents turned into pigs (it might have to do something with me being born in the year of the pig, I'm not so sure); the "No-Face" spirit (who eats people, and becomes fat, and is just scary. Period.); the scary giant baby and its scary witch mother; and it just scared me that something so horrible would happen to a little girl.   


The Uninvited

Anna Rydell returns home to her sister (and best friend) Alex after a stint in a mental hospital, though her recovery is jeopardized thanks to her cruel stepmother, aloof father, and the presence of a ghost in their home.
This one was a little scary.  Maybe a lot.  If you think about it after a while, it isn't that scary, but at first, I will admit, I was a bit creeped out.  Some of the things were just really gross.  Like there was this one scene where the guy's spine just went all wacko, and my friend compared it to the shapeshifter in the TV show Supernatural.  Yeah.  I was a little creeped out by that.

Supernatural

Supernatural tv show photo

This is my FAVORITE TV show of all time.  It might be because of Dean Winchenster (Jensen Ackles), because, you know... He's pretty attractive, and not to mention, hilarious.  But it's also really creepy.  Especially in it's earlier days.  It made me scared of my bathroom for a couple weeks.  That's how bad it was in the beginning for me... But I'm not afraid anymore :D

So, what absolutely creeps you out?  Any specific scary movies, books, or TV shows? 

Just writing this post kind of creeped me out.  The movie poster for The Uninvited is so creepy!!!  So is the cover for the Scary Stories book. 

Hope you guys have an awesome Halloween!

Cleo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥