Thursday, August 19, 2010

Review: Before I Fall

Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Date Released: March 2, 2010
Pages: 470
Rating: 5 out of 5

Description:
What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Review:
I REALLY liked this book (I read it in like 4 days which is pretty fast for me for a book of 400+ pages), even though I didn’t like the main character... but I thought it was pretty awesome and powerful in some way because it’s about second chances and trying to change things. I heard that it was a really good book from my friend, who let me borrow the book, and I thought that it would be sort of boring since the main character, Sam, replayed the same day, Friday, February 12th, over and over again. I thought that everyday would just be the same and repetitive, but Lauren Oliver did a really great job of making everyday different from the day she dies.

I really didn’t like Sam in the beginning of the book (who did?) because of who she was in the hierarchy of high school and how she acted towards the outcasts like Juliet Sykes and Kent McFuller. I also didn’t understand why she would date a guy like Rob even though she said that she didn’t like how his sweater smelled, how he wore his hat, his Valogram, etc… It also annoyed me how she liked him even though he told her in 6th or 7th grade that he would never like her because she was weird. It made me really happy in the end though, when she becomes a totally different person and changes her ways like smoking and drinking.

This book makes you think A LOT about different things from life to which group should you really be in? Oliver did a really great job of keeping me reading because you really wanted to know what happened. And it wasn’t all that predictable either. I really liked it and I think that anyone else would enjoy this, too!

Cover Review:
I thought that the cover was really nice and how it depicted Sam looking solemn.  I don't think that the cover could get any better than that.

*Description from Goodreads.com

Lauren Oliver's website & blog

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book too :D It's one that lingers on your mind.
    Please if you havve time, check out my blog. Thanks!!
    http://lovelylilbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥