Sunday, March 4, 2012

Review: Love and Leftovers

Title: Love and Leftovers
Author: Sarah Tregay
Date Released: December 27th, 2011
Pages: 451
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Description:
My wish
is to fall
cranium over Converse
in dizzy, daydream-worthy
love.


When her parents split, Marcie is dragged from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She leaves behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "vacation" has become permanent. She starts at a new school where a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you've lost it?

Love and Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl’s journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole.

Review:

Love and Leftovers was a bittersweet novel. Written in verse, it chronicles main character Marcie and her life after her mom packs up things in Idaho and go to "vacation" at their summerhouse in New Hampshire. Along the way, Marcie learns to try and pick up her life, starting with a new school, and eventually falling in love all over again. But, it's not easy for Marcie, because in Idaho she left her emo rocker boyfriend, Linus, behind as well as her father.

I have actually not read many verse novels. I think that most of them have been ones like Love That Dog by Sharon Creech, so, that was like 6 or 7 years ago. Love and Leftovers was a really quick novel because it was written in verse, but it was completely unique. I love how sometimes the verses were structured according to mood and how everything flows. I will admit though that sometimes when there was dialogue, the verses would be structured into two columns and I would get lost as to how to read them, but that could just be me.

The story was kind of like the typical contemporary story where the main character is caught between two fighting parents and is trying to patch up everything in her life that has been broken. What makes this one unique is the reason why the parents broke up. It was just something that I didn't see coming and I thought was very interesting.

I loved Marcie and I felt like I got to know her so much through her journal. Through her descriptions and vivid emotions of everything that she went through, I felt like I could connect with her and feel what she felt.

I just have one little complaint about this book. Where did J.D. go? He just sort of managed to disappear after a while and that kind of disappointed me. It was sort of like nothing had ever happened between Marcie and him after a while.

Overall, I really loved Love and Leftovers. It was the perfect contemporary, blending in the tragic themes of parents separating and finding love. I would recommend this to anyone who is in need of a short contemporary story.

Cover Review:
This cover is incredibly cute. I love the whole Converses concept, since Marcie's wish was to "fall cranium over Converse in dizzy daydream-worthy love." The font is just perfect for the title because it doesn't take away from the shoes. The background is really cool because if you look closely enough, you can see paper with writing on it, and it probably represents Marcie's love for writing poetry.

Cleo :)

*Description and cover from goodreads.com
*Review copy won from a Goodreads giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you guys!! And feel free to ask any questions! ♥